Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 25: No Turning Back

Well, hello Day 25!

With five days left of my experiment, I’m feeling pretty decent. I can’t say that my acne or skin problems are completely gone, (I have a few smaller ones by my mouth, chin and nose area according to my husband) but I’m feeling hopeful. My husband also tells me my breakouts come and go very quickly and aren’t nearly as inflamed as before. In addition to all that, I have definitely developed the “dead skin mask” which, I’m told, is most noticeable in the morning when I wake up. I’m not as bothered by this as I am the little breakouts. I guess that’s mostly because I can’t see them so it is hard to imagine how noticeable or unnoticeable they are.

I will say that, in regards to my no-mirror rule, this has become harder and harder to observe. I blame my curiosity mostly. I find that sometimes when I’m really unsure and need a boost, I allow myself to “cheat” a little. For example, I’ll use dark blurry reflections like those you’d find on the glass of a framed picture and stand far away from them and smile. I can’t see the details of my face, but I can see my happy smile and my eyes and it makes me feel better for some reason. I guess I don’t consider it actual cheating because I can’t examine myself the way I used to. I just find it beneficial to plant an image of myself happy and worry-free in my mind.

My emotional well-being has become a huge part of this experiment and, just like anyone else, I have good days and bad days. On the bad ones, I find myself feeling pretty self-conscious and aware of my face all day. I’ve noticed that I ask my husband a lot more questions about what I look like on those days. I think I’m just looking for a little assurance that it really isn’t terrible. Lucky for me, I also have a lot of lovely friends and family who have said they hardly notice any of my issues until I start pointing them out. On the good days, I continue to feel like I can open my eyes to the world around me without constantly looking inward at myself. I love the freedom of being able to get ready by simply combing through my hair and putting on something comfortable. I haven’t really felt “beautiful” or “sexy” at all during this experiment, but to be completely honest, I haven’t felt that way during the past 5 months. It would be nice to get my confidence back without having to use my makeup as a crutch; and although I’m sure this will take time, I truly believe that I am going to get to a point where I feel good about my true, natural self.

Almost there!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment