Sunday, September 15, 2013

End of Day 2 Thoughts

I started off today feeling pretty good.
The husband and I went to church and, although I felt pretty self-conscious walking in, the service was amazing. I began to hear God's encouragement in everything. From the songs we sang to the message we heard, I just knew He was reaching out to tell me not to worry because He's got this.

Some of the main points of the message that really hit me today were:
-He is working to break down our barriers. I have recently come to understand that one of my biggest barriers in my life is VANITY. From a very young age, I found myself checking things in the mirror more and more often to try to project the most "flawless" image possible. I would be embarrassed if I could actually tell you how many hours of my lifetime have been wasted in front of that stupid mirror.
-We do not labor in vain. God has planned our paths for us and all we have to do is take that first step in faith. The only way I can get through this experiment is with the help of God.

So, as far as my thoughts on the experience so far, it has been interesting. I've had to go to work both of these days without looking into a mirror beforehand. I basically put an outfit on, brushed my hair, and hoped for the best. The thing is, once I'm at work, there's nothing I can do to change my situation. I must put my face in front of people and do my job, so why bother breaking down over it? I'm not saying it is easy, it is actually really hard to feel like myself. I'm really trying to work through this, though. I've found that the more I laugh and smile, the more my anxieties over what people might be "looking at" are eased.
I will say that I'm very lucky to work with such sweet and supportive people. All of the coworkers I've told about my experiment have been really supportive of it. Many of them have tried to assure me that I don't look hugely different without my makeup. (Yeah right... but thanks, guys. :))

Some online people who have encouraged me are:
-Tara, a girl who has tried everything just like me.
-This girl who curses a lot, but makes me laugh... and has a point.

Well, that's all for now. I'll update again in a day or two.
I'm 1/15th of the way there! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment